Books for Parents and Professionals
EARLY INTERVENTION PROGRAM
for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders
Books, Research Publications, Intervention Aids
1. P. Karanth. 2009. Children with Communication Disorders. Orient Blackswan, New Delhi 2010. Second edition.
2) P. Karanth. 2003. A Cross-Linguistic Study of Acquired Reading Disorders: Implications for Reading Models, Disorders, Acquisition and Teaching. Kluwer Academic: New York.
3) P.Karanth and J.Rozario (Ed). 2003. “Learning Disability in India: Willing the Mind to Learn”. Sage: New Delhi.
Scientific papers in peer reviewed journals
1. Karanth, P. "Language Acquisition, Learning and Learning Disabilities in the Indian Context". To appear in "Expanding Horizons of the Mind Science(s)".Nova Science Publishers: NY. In press.
2. Tanushree Saxena-Chandhok, Poornima Ram-Kiran, Lathina Lawrance, Prathibha Karanth. 2011. "The Communication DEALL Developmental Checklist – Inter Rater Reliability". Disability, CBR and Inclusive Development, Vol 22, No.1, 2011. DOI 10.5463/DCID.v22i1.9, pp 48-54.
3. Karanth, P. 2010. Women in Science. Plenary Address on Speech, Language & Hearing Sciences and Disorders at the 2nd National Women’s Science Congress. JAAISH, Vol.29 (1), pp 120-122.
4. Karanth, P. 2010. ‘Maria Montessori and the Special Child – the relevance of Montessori for the child with Special Needs". ‘Follow the Child’ Indian Montessori Centre, Bangalore. Sep 2010.
5. Karanth, P., Shaista, S. and Srikanth, N. 2010 "Efficacy of Communication DEALL –An indigenous early intervention program for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders". Indian J. Pediatr 77:957-962. DOI
6. Karanth, P. 2010. "Linguistic Profiling of Language Disorders", Indian Journal of Applied Linguistics, Vol.36, No. 1-2, Jan-Dec 2010, Bahri Publications, New Delhi.
7. Karanth, P. 2009. Early Identification and Early Intervention - The need of the hour for children with Developmental Disabilities, Little Details: 3, BEC, Bangalore
8. Karanth. P. 2008. Language and learning. In Perspectives on Learning Disabilities in India: Current Practices and Prospects Editors: K. Thapa, G.M. van der Aalsvoort & J. Pandey.
9. Karanth. P. 2007. With a little bit of help - An early Language Training Kit. JRCI, Vol 3, No 1 & 2, RCI: New Delhi.
10. Suchithra M.G and Karanth P. 2007. Linguistic Profile Test: Normative Data for children in grades VI to X ( 11 + years to 15 + years). Journal of AIISH. Vol 26.
11. Hia Datta , Sethu Karthikeyan, Loraine K. Obler, Prathibha Karanth, Prarthana Karpur. 2007. Agrammatics’ sensitivity to inflectional optionality. Brain and Language xxx (2007) xxx–xxx
12. Vijaychandra A.R & Karanth, P. 2007. "The role of literacy in the conceptualization of words: Data from Kannada-speaking children and non-literate adults", accepted for publication in Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal. Kluwer Academic.
13. Karanth, P. 2006. The Kagunita of Kannada – Learning to read and write an Indian alphasyllabary. In R. M. Joshi & P. Aaron (Eds), Handbook of Orthography and Literacy, Lawrence Erlbaum. pp 389-404.
14. Karanth. P. 2005. The nature-nurture controversy in its most recent avatar - A response to Shukla and Vasanta. J. Biosci. 30 (1).
15. Karanth P. 2005. Evaluation and Management of Children with delayed speech - language acquisition. Physicians Digest, 14: 2, pp 14-20.
16. Karanth, P. Rao, R., Mathew, A & Kurien, P. 2004. Orthography and Reading Speed. Reading and Writing in Syllabic and Semi-Syllabic Scripts – A Special Issue of Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal,
17. Nirupama. S & Karanth.P. 2003. Speech- Language pathologists and the remediation of reading Disabilities. P.Karanth and J.Rozario (Ed). Learning Disability in India: Willing the Mind to Learn. Sage: New Delhi.
18. Prema.K.S & Karanth P. 2003. "Assessment of Learning Disability: Language Based Tests". P.Karanth and J.Rozario (Ed). Learning Disability in India: Willing the Mind to Learn. Sage: New Delhi.
19. Karanth. P. 2003. "Language and Learning Disabilities or Language Learning Disabilities". In P.Karanth and J. Rozario (Eds.). Learning Disability in India: Willing the Mind to Learn. Sage: New Delhi
20. Karanth P. 2002. Reading into Reading Research through nonalphabetic lenses – Evidence from the Indian languages. Topics in Language Disorders.
21. Aluri, U & Karanth, P. 2002. Rehabilitation facilities available for children with PDD/Autism in Bangalore City – A Survey. Asia Pacific Disability Rehabilitation Journal, Vol. 13, 2, p 115-124.
22. Karanth P.2002 "Four decades of Speech-Language Pathology in India". Folia Phoniatrica.Vol. 54, 2, p 69-71.
23. Karanth P.2002. "The search for Deep Dyslexia in a syllabic script". Journal of Neurolinguistics, Vol 15, 2, pg 143-155.
24. Karanth P. 2000. "Thou shalt speak one and only one language…" In ASHA KIRAN the newsletter of the Asian-Indian caucus of the American Speech-Language and Hearing Association
25. Geetha.Y.V, Karanth P, Rao, A and Shetty, K.R. 2000. Classification of Childhood Disfluencies using Neural Networks. Journal of Fluency Disorders, 25, pp99-117. New York: Elsevier.
26. Karanth P.2000. "Multilingual, Multiliterate, Multicultural Studies of Aphasia- the Rosetta Stone of Neurolinguistics in the New Millenium, Millenium Issue of Brain and Language, Academic Press: New York
27. Karanth P. 1999. "Literacy and Language Processes- Orthographic and Structural Effects". In J. Valsiner (Ed). Literacy in Human Development, Ablex: New York.
28. Karanth P. 1998. "The Empowerment of Mothers in CBR Programs for Hearing Impaired Children". Asia Pacific Disability Rehabilitation Journal, Vol. 9, Bangalore.
29. Karanth P.1998. "Reading and Reading Disorders: An Indian Perspective". In Osmania Papers in Linguistics- Special Volume on Applied Psycholinguistics, Vol. 22-23, Hyderabad.
30. Karanth P., Kudva A and Vijayan A. 1995. "Literacy and Linguistic Awareness". In B. de Gelder and J.Morais (Ed), Speech and Reading: A Comparative Approach", Erlbaum: London.
31. Karanth P. 1995. "Clinical Linguistics in India: Future Perspectives". South Asian Language Review, Vol. V, No 2, New Delhi.
32. Karanth P. 1994. "Brain and Language". In Proceedings of the Seminar on Brain and Language, ISDL, Thiruvananthapuram.
33. Jyothi B and Karanth P.1994. "The Time Factor in Aphasic Evaluation". Journal of AIISH, Vol. 25, Mysore
34. Uma S and Karanth P. 1994. "Development of certain Morpho-Syntactic Structures in Kannada speaking Hearing Impaired Children".
35. Usha K R and Karanth P.1994. "Assessment of Early Language Skills of Hard of Hearing Children on the 3D Language Acquisition Test"
36. Herlekar G and Karanth P. 1994. "3 Dimensional Language Acquisition Test: Evaluation of Language within a Pragmatic Framework".
37. Karanth P. 1994. "Assessment of Disordered Language: The Clinician’s Dilemmas".
In Lakshmi Bai and D.Vasanta (Ed), Language Development and Language Disorders: Perspectives from Indian Languages, Bahri Publications: New Delhi.
38. Karanth P. 1993. " Language and Language Pathology: Evolution, Current Status and Future Trends". ISHA Silver Jubilee Volume: Bangalore
39. Prakash P., Rekha D., Nigam R and Karanth P.1993. "Phonological Awareness, Orthography and Literacy". In R.Scholes (Ed) Literacy: Linguistic and Cognitive Perspectives, Lawrence Erlbaum: New Jersey.
40. Karanth P and Suchithra M.G. 1993. "Literacy Acquisition and Grammaticality Judgement in Children". In R. Scholes (Ed) Literacy: Linguistic and Cognitive Perspectives, Lawrence Erlbaum: New Jersey.
41. Suchithra M.G and Karanth P.1993. "Linguistic Profile Test- Normative Data for Children in Grade I to Grade IV". Journal of AIISH, Mysore.
42. Kaur B and Karanth P. 1993. "Special Education in India". In Saraswathi and B.Kaur (Ed), New Directions in Human Development and Family Studies: Research and Policy Interfaces, Sage: New Delhi
43. Karanth P.1992. "Developmental Dyslexia in Bilingual Biliterates". Reading and Writing, Vol. 4, No 3, Kluwer Academic: Netherlands.
44. Karanth P.1991. "Comments on Issues Relating to Professional Training and Development of Alternate and Augmentative Communication Systems in India". IJDR, Vol. 2, New Delhi.
45. Karanth P, Ahuja G.K., Nagaraj. D., Pandit R. and Shivashankar N. 1991. "Cross Cultural Studies of Aphasia". In J.S. Chopra, K. Jaganathan and I.M.Sawhney (Eds.), Modern Trends in Neurology, Churchill Livingstone: New Delhi.
46. Karanth P. 1990. "Evaluation of Language Tests for Adults". ISHA Battery of Tests, New Delhi.
47. Karanth P. 1990. "Issues Relating to Professional Training and Development of AAC Systems in India". Proceedings of the First ISAAC Regional Conference.
48. Karanth P. 1989. "Pronominal Reversals in Autism- A Note". NIMHANS Journal, 7 (2), Bangalore.
49. Karanth P. 1989. "Rehabilitation of Aphasics in India". In M. T. Sarno & D. E. Woods (Ed) Aphasia Rehabilitation in Asia and the Pacific Region. World Rehabilitation Fund, IEIR, New York, Vol. 45.
50. Karanth P. 1988. " Normative Studies of Language Development in Children". Report of the Workshop on Developmental Norms for Children, NIPCCD: New Delhi.
51. Karanth P. 1988. " Linguistic Profile Therapy for Aphasia". Annals of the National Academy of Medical Sciences, India 25 (2), New Delhi.
52. Karanth P. and Rangamani G. N. 1988. "Crossed Aphasia in Multilinguals". Brain & Language, Academic Press: New York.
53. Karanth P. 1988. "Analysis of Acquired Reading Disorders in Kannada". Journal of the All India Institute of Speech and Hearing. Mysore
54. Karanth P. 1985. "Dyslexia in a Dravidian Language". In Coltheart, Patterson & Marshall (Eds.) Surface Dyslexia: Neuropsychological and Cognitive Studies of Phonological Reading, Lawrence Erlbaum: London.
55. Karanth P. 1983. "Neurolinguistics". In Pattanayak D (Ed), Towards Greater Heights, CIIL Publications, Mysore.
56. Karanth P. 1982. "Application of Foreign/Second Language Teaching Methods in Speech Pathology, Bulletin of the College of Speech Therapy, London.
57. Karanth P. 1982. "Linguistics, the Evaluation and Remediation of Language in Aphasics". Indian Linguistics, Pune.
58. Karanth P. 1982. "Research on Speech and Language Pathology in Dravidian Languages". DLA Encyclopedia on Dravidian Languages, Thiruvananthpuram.
59. Karanth P and Thirumalai M.S. 1981. "Language Policies and the Speech and Hearing Specialists". Journal of the All India University Tamil Teachers, Annamalainagar.
60. Karanth P. 1981. "Pure Alexia in a Kannada- English Bilingual". Cortex, 17, Milan.
61. Karanth P. 1981. "The Disorders of Language in Dysphasia and Psychosis". International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics, Vol. X, No 2, Thiruvananthapuram.
62. Karanth P. 1981. "A Comparative Analysis of Aphasic and Schizophrenic Language". Doctoral thesis, University of Mysore
63. Karanth P.1978. "Linguistics and Speech Pathology in India". Linguistic Society of India, Pune.
64. Ahuja G.K., Karanth P and Kaliaperumal V.C. 1978. "Factors related to Improvement of Aphasia in Patients with Stroke. The Journal of Rehabilitation in Asia, Bombay.
65. Karanth P. 1977. "Speech and Hearing Clinical Services in an Indian Setting". Bangalore East Lions Institute of Speech and Hearing, Bangalore.
66. Shetty P.S. 1973. "Orofacial Abnormalities and Speech". Journal of the Dental College, Bangalore
67. Shetty P. S. 1971. "A Case History". Journal of the All India Institute of Speech and Hearing, Mysore
68. Shetty P.S. 1971. "GPI and the Speech Pathologist". Journal of the All India Institute of Speech and Hearing, Mysore.
Language Training Manuals
1. P. Karanth, R. Manjula. Y.V.Geetha and K.S.Prema 2010 With a little bit of help- an early language learning kit”. Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi, Tamil, and Telugu. Books for Change: Bangalore
2. P. Karanth, R. Manjula. Y.V.Geetha and K.S.Prema, 2007. “With a little bit of help- an early language learning kit”. Kannada Version. Books for Change: Bangalore
3. P. Karanth, R. Manjula. Y.V.Geetha and K.S.Prema. 1999. “With a little bit of help- an early language learning kit”. Books for Change: Bangalore.
The Communication DEALL Series
1. P. Karanth. 2010. Communication DEALL – The Program. The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore
2. Karanth, P. et al. 2010. Manual for families of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore
3. Karanth, P.et al.2010. Manual for Prerequisite Learning Skills. The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore
4. Karanth, P. et al 2010. Intervention Manual for Preschoolers Motor Skills (Gross & Fine) and Activities of Daily Living
5. Karanth, P. et al 2010. Intervention Manual for Preschoolers – Communication. The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore.
6. Karanth, P. et al 2010. Intervention Manual for Preschoolers Augmentative and Alternative Communication The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore
7. Karanth, P. et al 2010. Intervention Manual for Preschoolers Cognitive, Social and Emotional Skills. The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore
8. Karanth, P. et al 2008. Intervention Manual for Toddlers – Communication Skills, Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore.
9. Karanth, P. et al 2008. Intervention Manual for Toddlers – Motor Skills, Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore.
10. Karanth, P. et al 2008 Intervention Manual for Toddlers – Alternate and Augmentative Communication, Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore.
11. Karanth, P. et al 2008 Intervention Manual for Toddlers – Cognitive, Social and Emotional Skills, Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore.
12. P. Karanth. 2007. Communication DEALL Developmental Checklists. The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore
Communicaids (Karanth. P. Series Editor)
1. Archana, G. Oromotor Assessment Manual, Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore, 20082. Nair, Deepa. Parallel Talk. The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore, 2008
3. Tanushree Saxena & Nirupama Srikanth. Protovocabulary Book II - Verb Book. The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore, 2007
4. Tanushree Saxena & Nirupama Srikanth. Protovocabulary Book I. The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore, 2007
5. Poornima Ram Kiran & Nirupama Srikanth. Stories for everyday social skills. The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore, 2007.
6. Vishnupriya. Advanced Pragmatic Kit, The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore, 2006.
7. Srilakshmi. Basic Pragmatic Kit, The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore, 2005.
8. Aluri, Ujwala – Oromotor Kit, The Com DEALL Trust, Bangalore.2004.